The legend of Zion Williamson has been building for years. He recently took the court for the first time as a Duke Blue Devil. HERE ARE THE HIGHLIGHTS.
Zion is the first ever-high school superstar of the social media era. His viral dunking videos gained millions of views and put him on the recruiting radar. A top collegiate recruit, he is a projected top 5 NBA lottery pick.
Since we are getting closer to the beginning of the NCAAB season. Here is everything you need to know about the face of college basketball this year.
- He is 6’7” and 285 pounds.
- He is from Spartanburg, South Carolina.
- He is 18 years old. Born July 6th, 2000.
- He can dunk from the free throw line (for real) – CHECK IT HERE
RECRUITING. Clemson had the inside edge on recruiting based off location. But Duke already had R.J. Barrett and Cam Reddish committed when Williamson was ready to make his announcement. When Williamson picked the Blue Devils, it gave one school the top-three incoming recruits for the first time in the modern history of college basketball.
- At 6’6 or 6’7 and 285 pounds, Williamson will spend the majority of his minutes at power forward with some spot minutes as a small ball center.
- He’s an elite athlete with explosive leaping ability to can make plays above the rim on both ends of the court.
- He’s a monster rebounder on both ends. He will be able to provide secondary rim protection, but lacks the length (6’10 length) to be a team’s main shot blocker. His lateral quickness and ability to defend guards on switches will be under a microscope at Duke.
- The biggest hole in his game is his jump shot. He’s a reluctant shooter from three-point range. It will be fascinating to see how many threes he takes and makes as a freshman at Duke.
- He’s a good ball handler and willing passer, a part of his game many people sleep on. It will be interesting to see how much he gets to handle the ball with Barrett and Reddish also in the lineup.
- His left-hand dominant and will need to continue to develop his right.
CONCLUSIONS. College basketball is back! Stay tuned.